Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Fred Thompson: "Today I Have Withdrawn My Candidacy For President Of The United States"


It's official: Fred Thompson has withdrawn his candidacy.

Here's the official statement:

Today I have withdrawn my candidacy for President of the US. I hope my country and my party have benefited from our having made this effort. Jeri and I will always be grateful for the encouragement and friendship of so many wonderful people.

-- Fred Dalton Thompson, statement issued to media


South Carolina was the coup de grace, as a lot of pundits predicted. This isn't the last we'll be hearing from Thompson though since rumours are beginning to circulate that he had his eye on the Vice Presidency since day one. My gut impulse is a McCain-Thompson ballot. Fred's Reagan conservatism would go a long way towards mitigating some of the worries that many Republicans have about McCain, particularly on taxation and immigration. On the other hand, a Romney-Thompson ballot would be perfectly acceptable as well.

H/t Ace

Stumble Upon Toolbar